Monday, June 22, 2009

Back to work

My last company from my son's graduation has left and now I can get back to work. This week promises to be brutal. I'm behind on everything.

The down side is that as soon as I catch up I won't have anything to do. Assignments have been hard to come by the last six months, and the little flurry of work I had starting about 6 weeks ago is running out.

Typically recessions have been good to me--magazines lay off people and use more freelancers. But his time the recession is so deep and so prolonged that it's gone beyond that. Not only have magazines laid off staff members, they've gotten smaller and are using fewer stories. And staffers who have been laid off can find other jobs, and they're competing with freelancers for the assignments that are there.

It's a tough world right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment